He’s Your Customer Avatar.
The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself.
– Peter Drucker, Management Consultant
If you want to become a top performing company you first need to have an in-depth understanding of who your ideal customer is. Doing so will make it much easier for you to market and sell to him because he’ll feel that you truly understand his unique needs. And when your prospect feels understood, your sales efforts will become almost effortless.
Recently I helped a biz opp company develop their companies customer avatar with which has really helped them with ALL of their marketing and communications.
Below is the avatar we created. Hopefully it will give you some insight into developing your own.
After doing the necessary research, we knew our ideal target customer so well that we even gave him a name! That’s right, our avatar is male, and his name is Norm. Why Norm you ask? Well, Norm is a normal guy just like many of our customers here at XYZ Company.
Who Is Norm?
Norm is a fictional character who is the average sum of all the common characteristics of our ideal customers. As you read over Norm’s “bio” be sure to create an image of him in your minds eye. Get to know him very well. The better you know him, the easier it will be for you to write promotional materials and interact with individual prospects.
Hint: When writing a broadcast email (even if it’s going out to 100,000 people) always write it to one person; Norm. By doing this you will find that your emails will flow much easier and the “Norms” on your list will feel as though you are writing specifically to them.
Okay, so let’s get to know Norm a lot better…
Norm’s General Characteristics:
- 40-45 years old
- 2 kids. Aged 10 – 22
- Lives in United States
Norm’s Physical Characteristics:
- 5′ 10″
- 190 lbs
- receding hairline
- starting to grey if not completely grey
- wears reading glasses (hint: use a 12 point font)
- has a pot belly (wants to get into better shape)
- he is tiered after work and relaxes in front of the TV in the evenings
- although he has not seen much success during the last 1-5 years working Online, he continues to do the same thing over and over.
Norm’s Challenges / Pains / Fears:
- Norm is lacking a clear plan of action
- he needs a proven business plan
- he is constantly inundated with emails all telling him to do something different
- he does not know who to listen to
- he needs a mentor and a role model
- he feels frustrated and overwhelmed
- he goes to bed at night wondering what he is doing wrong while seemingly everyone else Online is making money
- he wakes up in the morning, sits at his computer and shakes his head in frustration as he reads through all his emails without any direction
- he is surrounded by naysayers who keep telling him he is wasting his time and money chasing a dream.
- people keep saying, “I told you so”
- his wife keeps asking when he is going to make some money
- he wants to provide for his wife and kids. He feels responsible for their well-being.
Norm’s Wishes and Dreams:
- Norm want’s his own successful Online business
- He wants a predictable 6-figure income
- He wants a proven plan that will provide him with clear, executable goals
- He wants to be surrounded by successful, experienced mentors and partners who can give him the guidance he needs
- He wants a team of professionals handling the many “ins and outs” of running a successful business
- He wants financial security
- He wants the freedom to work when he wants and from where he wants
- He wants to make his own decisions and be his own boss
The Ideal Norm:
- He is smart.
- Norm truly believes their is a way to succeed Online. He’s seen it and believes it. He just has not cracked the code yet.
- He is teachable
- He is a team player
- He is humble, honest and trustworthy
- He is determined, persistent and committed to his own success
- He takes responsibility for himself and his success
- He knows he needs help
- He wants to partner with experts who know what they are doing and have a proven business plan that can help him make a real, predictable income Online.
- He is a lot like YOU!